phpMyAdmin is a free and open source website software package written in PHP intended to handle the administration of a database in a web browser.
Frequently used operations (managing databases, tables, columns, relations, indexes, users, permissions, and so on) can be performed via the user interface in addition to having the ability to directly execute any SQL statement.
DreamHost provides phpMyAdmin for customers on shared, VPS, DreamPress, and Dedicated server hosting options. This article helps you access your databases using the DreamHost-managed phpMyAdmin software.
Before you use phpMyAdmin at DreamHost, you must complete the following steps:
- Set up a domain for full or mirrored hosting on the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page. Redirect, parked, and cloaking options may not function properly.
- Do not enable Passenger on a hosted domain if you wish to access phpMyAdmin, as it intercepts the HTTP requests and will show an error.
- Add a MySQL hostname on the (Panel > ‘Goodies’ > ‘MySQL Databases’) page.
- Allow enough time after adding both the hostname and full hosting for DNS to propagate.
Once you complete these steps, phpMyAdmin will be available on your domain.
Locating your database login credentials
View the following article for instructions on how to locate your database credentials:
If you wish to drop/delete a database
You cannot drop a database at DreamHost using phpMyAdmin; you can only delete a database on the (Panel > 'Goodies' > 'MySQL Databases') page.
- Finding your phpMyAdmin login credentials
- phpMyAdmin — How to backup / export a database or table
- phpMyAdmin — How to import / restore a database or table
- How do I migrate my database to DreamHost?
- MySQL overview