If you are having trouble migrating a WordPress site from another host yourself or just don't have the time, DreamHost currently offers a service that takes care of that for you: for just $99 and in less than 48 hours, DreamHost will move your WordPress site without any downtime. Please take a look at the Terms of Service (TOS) for further details about the process. If you want DreamHost to move forward with migrating your site, please submit a ticket with the domain name you wish to migrate and also include the following statement:
- I agree to the WordPress migrations TOS and the $99 charge.
DreamHost will pass your ticket it to the capable hands of the Professional Services team to get you started.
To help migrate your site to DreamHost, you can use the free Duplicator plugin. This packages up your WordPress install as well as the MySQL database on the "source" side.
The following steps walk you through the migration process.
- Install and open the Duplicator plugin.
- Click the Create New button.
- A page appears allowing you to name this backup and enter your database information:
- On this page, name this backup anything you like.
- Enter your current database credentials and name of the New URL you're going to copy this site into.
- On the bottom, click the Next button to proceed.
- The following screen appears:
- Click the Build button to create the backup.
- The download page appears.
- Click on both the Installer and Archive buttons to download the files. You will have downloaded a file named ‘installer.php’ and ‘backupname.zip’.
- Use the FTP article to upload the .zip and installer.php files to your new WordPress site.
- Go to to your MySQL Databases page at (Panel > ‘Goodies’ > ‘MySQL Databases).
- Create a new hostname and empty database for the site you’re migrating to.
- Once you create the database, visit the new URLs installer.php file. For example:
- The following page appears.
- On this page, enter your new database credentials and then click the Run Deployment button.
The former WordPress site is now duplicated into the new site URL.
- Your source and target systems need to have the ZipArchive PHP extension installed so that the Duplicator plugin can zip the package. You can check this by going to the System Compatibility page in the Duplicator plugin. On DreamHost, that means your site must be running PHP 5.6+.
- Depending on the file size of your WordPress site and database, the plugin may experience problems with importing your content to DreamHost. If the file size is too large, PHP may time out while attempting to restore the backup that the plugin creates. If this is the case, you can try to increase your PHP memory settings using a phprc file using the following article:
Assuming your DNS is already pointed to DreamHost, your site will now resolve online. If your DNS is not pointed to DreamHost, view the following articles: