Python is a programming language like PHP and Ruby which allows you to create many different types of applications. More information can be found on the Python website:
View the following links for current versions of Python.
You can also install any version of Python 2 or Python 3 you like.
You have a few options on how to deploy your Python app at DreamHost:
- Passenger – The preferred way to deploy Python apps. This is an Apache module which was originally written to support the execution of Ruby on Rails apps, but which also provides support for WSGI-compliant applications. View the Passenger article for setup details.
- CGI – Slow and not recommended.
- FastCGI – Faster than CGI and uses mod_fcgi.
Some Python website frameworks can run on DreamHost servers. These include:
- Guidelines for setting up a Python file at DreamHost
- How to install a newer version of SWIG
- Installing a custom version of Python 2
- Installing a custom version of Python 3
- Installing and using virtualenv with Python 2
- Installing and using virtualenv with Python 3
- Using pip to install Python 2 modules
- Using pip3 to install Python3 modules
- Python setuptools
- Django overview