At DreamHost you can purchase a domain registration without having to purchase an account. You also have the option of adding a domain registration to an existing account. This article explains how to add a registration both ways.
Purchasing a domain registration only
The following instructions explain how to add the registration without a hosting plan. A hosting plan is only needed if you wish to set up a live website at DreamHost. View the following article for a list of hosting plans available:
If you only wish to own a registration and not set up a website at DreamHost, proceed with the following steps.
- You can purchase a domain registration from DreamHost on the following page:
- On this page you can search for the domain you wish to purchase.
- Click the 'Buy now' button when you're ready to purchase.
- This opens the signup.dreamhost.com page where you can create your FREE registration only account.
- Choose how many years you would like to purchase the registration for and click the 'Continue' button.
- On the final page, enter your personal information which is used to assign the domain ownership to you.
- At the bottom, enter your credit card information and click Place order now.
Once purchased, you'll have access to your panel. In this panel you can update the domain's DNS settings.
In this way you can purchase the registration at DreamHost, but point the DNS to another hosting company to host the site there. You can also choose to leave it in your DreamHost account for future use.
Adding a registration to an existing account
DreamHost allows you to register multiple domain names such as example.net, example.store, and example.club in a single sign up process through the panel.
You can read more about how to register multiple domains in the following article:
- Log into your panel.
- Navigate to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Registrations') page.
- Enter the domain you wish to purchase in the text field.
- Click the Check Availability button to confirm it's available.
- On the next page enter your personal details. This information is used to assign the domain registration to you.
- Click the Continue button once finished.
- On the final page you can choose how many years you would like to own this domain for.
- Click the Continue button to complete the purchase.
Controlling DNS for the registration
After logging into your panel, you can see the domain registration is set to DNS Only. This means you have control over where the DNS records are pointed.
By default they are set to DreamHost. If you wish to point them to another hosting company you can either create custom DNS records or update the nameservers. View the following articles for details: