This article explains how to move a domain between DreamHost web servers. These instructions only move the website files; the database files will remain on the same MySQL server.
If you only want to change the username assigned to a domain but not migrate it to a different server, view the following article instead:
Moving a single domain to a different server
Edit the domain in your panel to select a new username on a different server:
- Navigate to the Manage Websites page.
- Click the Manage button to open the Domain Settings page, which allows you to adjust various settings for your site.
- Click the Login Info button under Manage Your Site.
- Click the Switch user button.
- Select a user located on the web server you want to host this domain from the dropdown. If you want to move the site to a new user, you must create it on the web server first.
Leave the Move files to the new user? toggle on.
- Click the Save Changes button.
- Depending on how much data is moved, It can take several hours to migrate to the new user.
- To check the status of a single domain migration, check the Manage Websites page. A progress bar will appear under your domain with an estimated completion percentage for the domain migration.
There is no downtime during the move as the data is copied while the former server continues to serve the website. However, you should not work on your site during this 4-6 hrs time period. This is because it's possible your changes will be made to the old site, not the new. You should wait until the DNS has fully updated being continuing to work on your website.
When you migrate your domain to a different server, the IP of your site changes. If your domain is using DreamHost’s nameservers, then the domain’s IP is updated automatically.
If your domain is not using DreamHost’s nameservers, you’ll need to update your DNS records manually at the company where your nameservers are hosted.
You can see all of the DNS records set up for any site you host at DreamHost in your panel. Please note that after any DNS change, the records must propagate online.
Visit the following articles for more information: