After you have created a Key Pair and launched an instance, you can now connect to your new DreamCompute instance using this Key Pair. However, the default user does not have a password set. It only uses this Key Pair to log in.
After you've logged in, proceed with the following steps to create a password for the default user.
The following example is run on an Ubuntu instance with the default user named 'ubuntu'.
Setting the password
- Change to the root user
ubuntu@instance:~$ sudo su root@instance:/home/ubuntu#
- Create a new password for the default user:
root@instance:/home/ubuntu# passwd ubuntu Enter new UNIX password: Retype new UNIX password: passwd: password updated successfully
- The default user now has a password.
- Log into the instance using this password. Going forward, you must use the DreamCompute dashboard to log into this instance with the new password.
How to log into your instance via the DreamCompute dashboard console
- Log into the DreamCompute dashboard.
- On the left, click Instances, then click the instance name you want to log in to.
- Click the Console tab.
- Enter the default username.
- Enter the password you just created. This logs you into the instance.