DreamHost’s Apache web servers are configured in process-based mode. This means that each process serves one simultaneous connection and uses a significant amount of memory for that, thus limiting concurrent user count. DreamHost offers the option to change your web server to Nginx within the panel for VPS and Dedicated servers.
Changing your server
- Navigate to the VPS Dashboard or Dedicated Dashboard page.
- Click the Configure button to the right of your server.
- Select 'nginx' from the ‘HTTP Server’ drop down menu:
- Under the section 'Web Serve Configuration' is an 'HTTP Server' dropdown:
- No web server
- Click the Save settings button at the bottom to save your changes.
- Nginx servers use async i/o and can handle large count of concurrent connections without consuming much RAM, especially when serving static files.
- Most of the time, Apache is more than sufficient but if your site is receiving very heavy traffic, you may wish to look into nginx.