DreamHost’s Apache web servers are configured in process-based mode. This means that each process serves one simultaneous connection and uses a significant amount of memory for that, thus limiting concurrent user count. DreamHost offers the option to change your web server to Nginx within the panel.
- Navigate to the (Panel > ‘VPS’ > ‘Dashboard’) page.
- Click the Configure button to the right of your VPS.
- Select a server from the ‘HTTP Server’ drop down menu:
- Under the section 'Web Serve Configuration' is an 'HTTP Server' dropdown:
- No web server
- Nginx servers use async i/o and can handle large count of concurrent connections without consuming much RAM, especially when serving static files.
- Most of the time, Apache is more than sufficient but if your site is receiving very heavy traffic, you may wish to look into nginx.