Staying on top of both plugins and core WordPress upgrades is the single best thing you can do. Not only will it keep your site less prone to hack attempts, but almost every new version of the software has tweaks that offer speed increases.
You can use either the One-Click Installs page in the panel or log into your WordPress panel to set up automatic upgrades.
If you prefer to leave automatic updates disabled, you can still manually update your WordPress install using the following article:
Configuring 'Upgrade Actions'
- Open your panel at One-Click Installs.
- Click Manage Installed Applications.
- Choose your domain.
- Click the edit link under the 'Upgrade Action' column.
- Select the Upgrade automatically option.
Please note that all One-Click Installs require that the domain they are being installed onto is set to Fully Hosted.
- When you request an automatic upgrade, DreamHost will perform an upgrade to your WordPress site whenever a new major release of WordPress becomes available. DreamHost will also upgrade any available plugins that allow automatic upgrades during the process.
- Once an upgrade completes, you will be notified via email.
- If any errors are found during the upgrade process, DreamHost will reverse the upgrade, and notify you via email.
- You can also update your site by logging into your WordPress dashboard. From there, you can update your core WordPress install, plugins, and themes.
- As of WordPress 3.7, minor revision updates are done automatically by the WordPress application. DreamHost highly recommends that you allow these minor updates to automatically occur since they are typically bug fixes and/or security updates.