Keeping your WordPress site up to date is an essential step at running a secure and functional website. If your site was created as a One-Click install in the panel, you can set it to update automatically. If your site is not a One-Click install, you will need to manually update it. This article walks you through different ways to manually update your WordPress website.
Updating your core WordPress files
You can use either the WordPress dashboard or wp-cli to update your core WordPress files.
Via the WordPress dashboard
- Log into your WordPress site.
- On the left menu, choose 'Dashboard > Updates'.
- Click the Update Now button.
- Log into your server via SSH.
- Navigate to your website's directory.
- Run the following command to download and install the updated WordPress files:
[server]$ wp core update