There are two ways to add a subdomain at DreamHost.
- Add it as its own Fully Hosted subdomain
- Add it as a Custom DNS record to point to another host
The following sections explain both methods.
Adding a Fully Hosted subdomain
Adding a Fully Hosted subdomain is the same as adding a primary domain. For example, if you already have added the domain example.com and want to add a subdomain of blog.example.com, just add blog.example.com as 'Fully Hosted' the same way.
When you add the subdomain, it automatically is added to the 'Manage Domains' page under the primary domain. You can then host a new website on this subdomain.
- Navigate to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page.
- The 'Manage Domains' page opens:
- Click the Add Hosting to a Domain / Sub-Domain button.
- The first section on this page is titled 'Fully Hosted'. This is where you'll add the new subdomain.
You cannot enter a subdomain in the “DNS Only” section.
- In the field titled Domain to host: enter the name of the subdomain you wish to host. For example, if you wanted to 'Fully Host' the subdomain, add the subdomain blog.example.com.
- Click the Fully host this domain button to save.
If you receive the following error message:
You can't add that domain: you must add the parent domain example.com to your account before adding a subdomain to it.
It means that the second level domain is not yet in the system. A subdomain can only be created if its second level domain is created first (example.com). This is necessary even if you don't plan on hosting the second level domain at DreamHost.
View the DNS article for instructions on how to view this new IP address.
Adding a subdomain as a Custom DNS record
If you are hosting the primary domain at DreamHost (example.com), but want to host the subdomain at another company (blog.example.com), you should create a 'Custom DNS' record instead. This allows you to set the IP address of the subdomain to point to another hosting provider.
View the following article that describes how to add an 'A Record' as a custom DNS record. This is the same method you'll use to create your subdomain.
After the domain is added, the DNS must propagate. This can take 4-6 hrs. You can check the following site to confirm the DNS has updated in your location.
Other options for your subdomain
The above examples show how to create a subdomain that is Fully Hosted at DreamHost, or points to a different hosting company. There are also a few other ways you can use with a subdomain at DreamHost. For example:
View the following articles for further information on how to configure these options: