Adding a subdomain is the same as adding a primary domain. For example, if you already have added the domain example.com and want to add a subdomain of blog.example.com, just add blog.example.com as 'Fully Hosted' the same way.
When you add the subdomain, it automatically is added to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page under the primary domain.
Adding a subdomain
- Navigate to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page.
- The 'Manage Domains' page opens:
- Click the Add Hosting to a Domain / Sub-Domain button.
- Choose if you want this subdomain to be Fully Hosted, Redirected, Mirrored, Parked, or Cloaked.
You cannot enter a subdomain in the “DNS Only” section.
- Enter the name of the subdomain you wish to add in the corresponding section. For example, if you wanted to 'Fully Host' the subdomain, add the subdomain (blog.example.com) to the first field titled 'Domain to host'.
- Click the blue button within your chosen section (Fully Hosted, Redirected, Mirrored, Parked, or Cloaked) to save the settings for the subdomain.
If you receive the following error message:
You can't add that domain: you must add the parent domain example.com to your account before adding a subdomain to it.
It means that the second level domain is not yet in the system. A subdomain can only be created if its second level domain is created first (example.com). This is necessary even if you don't plan on hosting the second level domain at DreamHost.
Once the subdomain is set as Fully Hosted, an IP address is assigned. If your nameservers are not hosted with DreamHost you must point your A records to this IP.
View the DNS article for instructions on how to view this new IP address.