This article is a quick overview of how to connect to your FTP account. For more detailed instructions please visit the FTP article here:
Clients to use to upload your site
When your site is built and ready to go, you can upload your files to DreamHost to place them on your account.
This can be done by using an FTP client to upload your files:
- FTP Client — FileZilla , Cyberduck, CuteFTP, FireFTP, and so on, depending on your OS. Using a fully functioning FTP client such as these is the recommended way to connect to your web server.
- Web FTP — Visit http://webftp.dreamhost.com to connect to your site via WebFTP. This is the FTP client option available within your DreamHost panel.
There are many other FTP client software packages. Please visit the FTP article for more information.
DreamHost recommends you use an FTP client to upload your files to DreamHost. You can download and use any FTP client of your choice (see the FTP article for more information).
The following is an example of Filezilla:
Use the following FTP account login values when prompted:
You can use either of the following:
- SITE URL (without http://www): For example if your site is http://www.example.com just use example.com to login to your FTP client.
- Server URL: In your panel go to (Panel > ‘Billing & Account’ > ‘Manage Account’).
On this page you’ll see a section named ‘Domains Hosted’. Under that you’ll see your domains. To the right of each is the web server on which it’s set up. So, if you're on the 'flower' server your server address would be flower.dreamhost.com.
Username / Login
This is the username to log into your FTP account only. Please note that your Panel WebID is NOT the FTP username. You can find this information in the email DreamHost sent to you when you either signed up or created the FTP user account. You can also find all of your users under (Panel > ‘Users’ > ‘Manage Users’). To view which user is assigned to which domain, go to (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’). To the right of each domain (under the web hosting column) is the user assigned to that specific domain.
This is the password to log into your FTP account only. Please note this is NOT the same password you use for your Panel. You can reset it under (Panel > ‘Users’ > ‘Manage Users’). Allow up to 15 minutes for it to update in the system before it’s active.
Check this page to see if your user is an FTP/SFTP/SHELL user (Panel > ‘Users > ‘Manage Users’). If your user is an FTP user you would use port 21. If it’s an SFTP or SHELL user you’d use port 22. NOTE: If you’re using WebFTP in the panel, it currently only accepts port 21.
If you uploaded your site and everything looks like it transferred normally, but you only see a "Parent directory", then chances are you uploaded your files to the wrong folder, or you uploaded your files to the wrong FTP user account. Please check and retry.
DreamHost also offers an FTP client in the panel. Go to (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’).
Under your domain you’ll see a link titled ‘WebFTP’. Click this to open DreamHost's WebFTP client. The login prompt looks like this:
- As of January 2015, you’ll need to use PORT 21 even if you’re connecting with an SFTP or SHELL user.
- Uploads are also only limited to 7MB. If possible, use a fully functioning FTP client listed in the client software article.
- Please see the FTP article for more information.