You can move a single domain from shared hosting to your private server automatically by switching the user that the domain runs under and having the panel automatically move the data.
There are two ways you can create a new user on the private server. The quickest method is by editing the domain on your panel and automatically creating a new web user:
- Navigate to the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page.
- Click the Edit button to the right of the domain under the ‘Web Hosting’ column.
- Scroll down to the ‘Users, Files, and Paths’ section.
- To the right of ‘Run this domain under the user:’, enter the following:
- Click the dropdown menu and select ‘Create a New User' (recommended).
- Enter the new user name and make sure that the correct private server is selected which is where this user is created.
- Leave the checkbox ‘Move files to the new user?’ checked.
- Scroll down and click the Change Settings button to save your changes.
- A confirmation page opens indicating that the changes were successfully saved.
- Within 15 minutes the new user is ready to use.
- Depending on how much data is moved, It can take several hours to complete the migration to the new user.
- To check the status of a single domain migration, check the (Panel > ‘Domains’ > ‘Manage Domains’) page. To the right of your domain you may see a clock icon and text stating data is being moved to the new user. Once complete, the icon and text no longer appear.
- There is no downtime during the move as the data is copied while the former server continues to serve the website.
When you move your domain from a shared server to a private server, the IP of your site changes. If your domain is using DreamHost’s nameservers, then the domain’s IP is updated automatically.
If your domain is not using DreamHost’s nameservers, you’ll need to update your DNS records manually at the company where your nameservers are hosted.
You can see all of the DNS records that are set up for any site you host at DreamHost in your panel. Please note that after any DNS change, the records must propagate online.
Visit the following articles for more information:
- DNS propagation overview
- How do I manually migrate my domain to a private server?
- How do I move users and domains to my private server?
- How do I add a user to my private server?