Multifactor Authentication is an effective solution that increases the security of your account. It requires the following:
- The first layer of security is your username and password.
- The second layer requires a one-time pass code which you enter before you can gain access to your DreamHost account.
This second layer of security helps protect your account from hackers and website hijackers, and DreamHost is proud to provide you with the choice to use either the Google Authenticator app or a Yubikey within the panel.
To enable this feature in the panel, visit one of the following articles depending on which application you'd prefer to use:
- How to use the Google Authenticator app with Multifactor Authentication
- How to use YubiKey with Multifactor Authentication
For more information about using Multifactor Authentication, review the Multifactor Authentication FAQs article.
Changes to the panel login page
Once you've enabled Multifactor Authentication, you'll notice changes to the panel Log In screen. It will appear like this:
You will now see two fields:
- Multifactor Authentication Code: Enter the 6-digit passcode generated by your mobile device.
- Remember this computer?: From this dropdown menu, choose how long you wish your computer to store this code. The three options are:
- Don’t remember
- Remember for 1 week
- Remember for 1 month
Changes when logging in from a new computer
Multifactor Authentication uses browser cookies to function, so if you try to log in from a new computer that has never logged in to your DreamHost panel before, the Multifactor Authentication Code field will not initially be visible, and your first log in attempt will fail. After that first attempt, DreamHost will identify your account and make the Multifactor Authentication Code field visible so that you can log in.