This article explains how to sign up for a new DreamHost account. This article is for new customers that wish to open an account with their own personal details and payment information.
This article shows how to open an account with a hosting plan. This means you will pay for a server to host your website on. If you only want to buy the web site name (domain name), and are not ready to host the site on the Internet, view the following article instead:
Step 1 — Choose a hosting plan
DreamHost offers several hosting plans for you to host your website on. View the following link for a list of plans:
If you would like to host a WordPress site, view the following page instead that lists all WordPress hosting options:
After you've decided on the plan, click the 'Sign Up Now' button under it to proceed with account creation.
Step 2 — Create a new account
After you've selected a plan you can proceed with creating your account. The steps are generally the same for all hosting plans, however an example of Shared hosting is shown below for clarity.
Adding a Shared hosting account
- When you've decided on the plan you'd like to purchase, click the button under it to proceed. After clicking the button, you're taken to signup.dreamhost.com. In this example it opens https://signup.dreamhost.com/shared/email/.
- Enter an email and password. This will be the primary email address used for DreamHost communication. Make sure you have full access to this email address.
- Create a free dreamhosters.com subdomain. This would look something like mysite.dreamhosters.com.
- Skip this step and add a domain later. On the next page you can register a new domain. Enter it into the search field and click the search button to see if it's available. If you do not want to create a new domain at this time you have two other options:
- On the next page, choose a billing option such as Monthly, 1 Year, or multiple years, then click Continue.
- The next page allows you to install add on 'DreamShield', or install WordPress. Select this option if you want to install WordPress on your website, or you have an existing site you would like DreamHost to transfer for you. After you click this option, the option to migrate appears.
- Some plans will offer you the option to also add a Private MySQL server to your account. After making your choice, click the Continue button.
- The final page asks you to enter your personal information and payment details.
- Click the Place order now button at the bottom to complete the signup process.
If you have any further questions, please contact DreamHost technical support