- Can I purchase a domain through DreamHost?
- Why would I want to get a domain from DreamHost?
- Does DreamHost offer any free registrations?
- Can I register multiple domains at the same time?
- How can I find out if the domain I want is still available?
- How can I view my list of registered domains?
- Can I make any changes to my registered domains?
- What types of domains can I register at DreamHost?
- Does DreamHost support premium domain registrations?
- Is there anything I should know BEFORE I have DreamHost register my domain?
Can I purchase a domain through DreamHost?
You can purchase a domain registration on your DreamHost account panel at Registrations or through one of the many domain registrars that are available. But, it’s easier to manage everything on a single account. So, if you have hosting on your DreamHost account, it would make it easier to manage your domain registrations on your DreamHost account as well.
There are other reasons to register a domain with DreamHost:
- The purchase can be done through your account panel using a credit card.
- Domains purchased are registered within 15 minutes of the completion of the purchase form, so it’s quick and easy.
- With an annual Shared Starter, Shared, or DreamPress hosting plan, the purchase of your domain name is free (for the first year). But this only applies to certain domains.
- Domain names have a maximum character length of 67 characters.
- You can modify your domain registration and manage it yourself through the panel.
- For the domains that offer privacy protection, this feature is free of charge, whereas many registrars charge a hefty fee for this feature.
Why would I want to get a domain from DreamHost?
That's a good question. At their core, every domain registrar out there is offering exactly the same thing. There really is no difference in the core domain registration service every registrar provides.
So, what is the difference between registrars? Is there anything that makes one better than another?
Below are important features that individual registrars do have control of, and how DreamHost compares on each, which you'll want to take into consideration:
- Free WHOIS privacy
- The majority of registrars charge you an additional fee to make your WHOIS information private. DreamHost offers this free of charge.
- The price that is charged to customers per domain, per year
- Prices are set in the mid-range of the price scale with no minimum commitment. You can view the current list of TLD prices at the following:
- The interface that customers can use to register, modify, transfer, renew, pay for, and generally manage their domain registrations
- DreamHost prides itself on making all aspects of managing your domain registration fast and easy to use, as well as fully automated and available at any time right through your DreamHost panel
- The stability, speed, and security of that interface
- The DreamHost registration interface is built on the same foundation as DreamHost’s web hosting which was started in 1996. Every day DreamHost is responsible for the uninterrupted service of over one million websites. More than 4500 Linux servers keep this system up and running at a blazing speed. System administrators take an active stance towards security and keep full back ups of all customer and internal data so it may be recovered quickly in the case of a catastrophic failure.
- The level of service provided to the customer
- DreamHost offers a high level of customer service, and is consistently rated for exemplary performance by third parties several times. For example, DreamHost has been recognized by PCMag and given their "Business Choice Award".
- The domain registration agreement to which you must agree
- The DreamHost Domain Registration Terms of Agreement is publicly available for you to review.
Does DreamHost offer any free registrations?
If you sign up for a Shared web hosting plan, DreamHost offers a free credit for a few selected domains. Please refer to the Free Registration article for more information.
In order to qualify for one free domain registration credit for the first full year, you must sign up for a 1-year or 3-year annual plan on a Shared Starter, Shared Unlimited/Happy Hosting, or any annual DreamPress plan (monthly Shared or monthly DreamPress plans do not apply). This free credit is NOT available under any other hosting plan.
You must also use the free registration within the first month of your annual Shared/DreamPress plan. If you do not use the free registration within the first month, then it's no longer available to use.
Please visit the following pages to view more details:
Can I register multiple domains at the same time?
Yes. DreamHost allows you to register multiple domain names such as example.net, example.store, and example.club in a single sign up process through the panel.
You can read more about how to register multiple domains in the following article:
How can I find out if the domain I want is still available?
You can check if the domain you want is available in your panel, on the Registrations page:
- Enter your desired domain name in the box, and then click the Search button.
- Your panel checks to see if the domain is currently available to be registered by you.
If you do not have a DreamHost account yet, you can also check for domain availability at:
How can I view my list of registered domains?
To view a list of your registered domains, simply navigate to the Registrations page.
The bottom portion of this page displays any domains you registered through DreamHost.
Can I make any modifications to my registered domains?
Yes. You can make various changes to your registered domains in the panel, such as adjusting privacy settings, nameservers, WHOIS information, and more. Any domain modification you make occurs immediately.
What types of domains can I register at DreamHost?
DreamHost currently offers the standard .com, .net, .org, and .info domains, as well as hundreds of other unique domain extensions. Visit the following link to search a list of domain extensions with pricing that DreamHost supports:
If you do not have a DreamHost account yet, you can also check for domain availability and pricing by searching for your desired domain name at:
Does DreamHost support premium domain registrations?
Premium domain names are short and easy to remember names that could potentially increase traffic to your website. These domains are already registered by someone else, but they are for sale at a premium price. The following are a few examples:
Unfortunately, DreamHost does not currently sell premium domain registrations at this time. If you'd like to purchase a premium domain registration, you'd need to register it with Enom directly, or another registrar that sells them.
After purchasing the domain registration, you can then host the site on your DreamHost account like any other domain.
Is there anything I should know BEFORE I have DreamHost register my domain?
- Domain registrations done through DreamHost require a major credit card. Account credit balances can be used to purchase the domain registration as well.
- DreamHost has a very limited window to delete certain newly purchased domains. Be sure you wish to purchase the domain name in question and ensure that the domain name is spelled correctly. If the deletion window has closed, the domain name cannot be deleted and refunded. For most TLDs, this window for deletion is open for as long as 5 days. Contact support if you would like to delete a newly purchased registration.
- Registering the domain name is just one part of having your own website. You also need to have a hosting plan (in order to host the site) and its contents uploaded to your server.
- Domain registration overview
- WHOIS overview
- What are the domain registration terms and conditions?
- How do I transfer my domain registration away from DreamHost?
- How do I transfer my domain registration to DreamHost?
- How do I redeem my domain registration?
- How do I renew my domain registration?
- How do I use a free domain registration?
- Can I purchase multiple domains at the same time?
- What if my domain registration expires?