A Discussion List is a useful service that provides:
- The ability to create group conversations or discussions via email. When you send an email to the Discussion List, it automatically sends that email out to each of the list's subscribers.
- The ability for your visitors from across the world to communicate with each other about topics of mutual interest.
- A simple way to communicate beyond the confines of the site itself, and also provides you with another way to keep people interested in what you have to say and offer.
In short, a Discussion List is a common email address that is shared with list subscribers.
The following information pertains to email accounts hosted at DreamHost. If you use Google for email, you DO NOT have access to all of these features. For example, convenience addresses do NOT work if your email is hosted with Google or any other third-party mail provider.
DreamHost currently runs version 2.1.17 of Mailman. You can verify the version by logging into your list, and then checking the bottom of the admin page where the version number is listed.
How many emails can I send from a Discussion List?
There is no sending limit for Discussion Lists. View the following article for further details:
- Create a Discussion List
- Manage a Discussion List
- Discussion List convenience addresses
- Delete a Discussion List
Third-party links (including info on Mailman and convenience addresses)
- GNU Mailman – List Administration Manual, 1.1 A List's Email Addresses
- GNU Mailman – List Administration Manual, 2.7.1 Subscription Rules
- GNU Mailman – List Administration Manual, 2.8 The Bounce Processing Category
- GNU Mailman – FAQ, 3.27. Who receives mail to -owner and -admin?
- GNU Mailman - List Member Manual, 3.2 The Email Interface