This article explains how to move a domain between DreamHost web servers. These instructions only move the website files, the database files will remain on the same MySQL server.
If you only want to change the username assigned to a domain but not migrate it to a different server, view the following article instead:
Moving a single domain to a different server
Edit the domain in your panel to select a new username on a different server:
- Navigate to the Manage Domains page.
- Click the Edit button to the right of the domain under the ‘Web Hosting’ column.
- Scroll down to the ‘Users, Files, and Paths’ section.
The screenshots below show how it would look when moving to a Shared or private server.
Migrating to a Shared server
- To the right of ‘Run this domain under the user:’, enter the following:
- Click the dropdown menu and select ‘Create a New User' (recommended).
- Enter the new user name
- Make sure the correct server is selected.
- Leave the checkbox ‘Move files to the new user?’ checked.
- Scroll down and click the Change Settings button to save your changes.
- A confirmation page opens indicating that the changes were successfully saved.
- Within 15 minutes the new user is ready to use.
- Depending on how much data is moved, It can take several hours to complete the migration to the new user.
- To check the status of a single domain migration, check the Manage Domains page. To the right of your domain you may see a clock icon and text stating data is being moved to the new user. Once complete, the icon and text no longer appear.
There is no downtime during the move as the data is copied while the former server continues to serve the website. However, you should not work on your site during this 4-6 hrs time period. This is because it's possible your changes will be made to the old site, not the new. You should wait until the DNS has fully updated being continuing to work on your website.
When you migrate your domain to a different server, the IP of your site changes. If your domain is using DreamHost’s nameservers, then the domain’s IP is updated automatically.
If your domain is not using DreamHost’s nameservers, you’ll need to update your DNS records manually at the company where your nameservers are hosted.
You can see all of the DNS records that are set up for any site you host at DreamHost in your panel. Please note that after any DNS change, the records must propagate online.
Visit the following articles for more information: