This process reinstalling the core files in the /wp-admin and /wp-includes directories and will not affect your website.
Reinstalling in the WordPress dashboard
- Log into your WordPress site at example.com/wp-login.php.
- On the top left, hover over Dashboard. A menu pops out to the right. Click Updates.
- On the next page, click Re-install Now.
Reinstalling using FTP
If you don't have access to your WordPress dashboard, you can upload the files using an FTP client.
Reinstalling using wp-cli
wp-cli is a command line tool you can use to manage your WordPress site.
- Log into your site via SSH.
- Run ls -la to ensure you're in your site's directory. You'll see a list of all of your WordPress files.
- Run the following command to download your core files.
[server]$ wp core download --skip-content --force