This article walks you through configuring PuTTY to log into your DreamHost server.
Make sure you have already downloaded PuTTY to your computer before proceeding.
You'll also need your SSH username and password to log in:
Saving a configuration
- Navigate to the directory where you downloaded the PuTTY files.
- Double click the putty.exe file to open.
You could also create a shortcut on your Desktop for easy access:
- Right click on your Desktop and choose New > Shortcut
- Browse to the location of your putty.exe file (it should be C:\Users\bin\putty.exe)
- Save the shortcut
- The following configuration box appears when you open PuTTY:
- Enter the following information:
Field Content Host Name (or IP address) Enter your DreamHost hostname. For example, if your server is named flower, this hostname is flower.dreamhost.com. You could also use your website: example.com. Port 22 Connection Type SSH Saved Sessions Enter a name for this connection. For example DreamHost Server
- Click the Save button to save this configuration. You'll now see it in the list.
- Click the configuration name in the list.
- Click the Load button. This loads your saved configuration.
- Click the Open button. A terminal prompt opens.
- Enter your SSH username and click ENTER.
- Finally, enter your password to log into your server.
Set up passwordless login
The instructions above allow you to log into your server, but you must enter a password each time.
To avoid having to enter your password each time you log in, you can set up passwordless login. View the following article for instructions: