DreamHost offers a paid security service in the panel that allows you to scan your website for malware when enabled. Here are the details:
- This service is an add-on that you can use on any domain you like to ensure it is free of malicious code that could potentially compromise sensitive information.
- When you add it, the service immediately runs a scan on your site, and will automatically scan it weekly after that.
- You are notified via email if it finds any issues, and your panel also displays this.
- If the site is clean, it shows that in the panel as well (and an email is sent).
This article explains how to add this service to a domain in your DreamHost panel.
Please take a moment to review the terms and service of the Malware Remover Service.
Adding the Malware Remover service to your domain
- Open the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page.
- The Manage Domains page opens:
- Scroll down and then click the 'Malware Removal Off' link under a domain.
- The Malware Remover page opens:
- Click the blue Start scanning button to confirm and begin a scan.
- The following page opens showing you the progress of your scan:
- When finished, the results will display.
- You can also view recent results or edit settings on the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page.
- Click the 'Site Clean' link to view.
Adding the service while signing up for a DreamHost account
You can also add the service when you initially sign up for a DreamHost account. View the following article for details.
Removing the service
- Navigate to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page.
- Click the 'Site Clean' link.
- Click Edit malware removal settings.
- Click the Disable malware removal button for your domain to stop the service.
What do I do if the service finds issues with my website?
When the service completes a scan of your website, an email is sent to you with the results, and includes any issues that are found. The email will also provide appropriate next steps to take (including links) in order to correct any intrusions or other threats.
Here are a few links to popular articles to help you address any issues in the event that the malware service detects any problems on your website:
Testing your site after it's been cleaned
After you've cleaned your site of any compromised code you may want to confirm it's now secure. The 'Malware Remover' service runs once per week, so it will automatically inform you of any issues next time it runs.
However, if you'd like an immediate scan, please contact technical support for assistance.