This article describes how to create a temporary DreamPress domain at DreamHost for your WordPress site hosted at another company.
Most often, you won't change your DNS at the other hosting company until your DreamPress site is completely configured first at DreamHost. Otherwise, your site will go down when you update the DNS.
You can now use a 'dream.press' subdomain to create your site at DreamHost. Then when you're ready, you can easily switch your DNS to DreamHost to have it hosted on DreamPress.
Why use a dream.press subdomain?
Creating a dream.press subdomain allows you to migrate your entire website to DreamHost and ensure it's functioning properly first. You can then update the DNS to point to DreamHost, which avoids any downtime when changing your DNS.
Creating a dream.press subdomain
- Navigate to the (Panel > 'DreamPress' > 'Dashboard') page.
- Click the button to add a new DreamPress site.
- Add a temporary dream.press domain. For example, create a site called example.dream.press if your current site is example.com. You can name it anything, but it must end with dream.press.
- A confirmation displays. You'll soon receive further email instructions.
- The (Panel > 'DreamPress' > 'Dashboard') page shows the domain as 'Pending' while it's being configured. You must wait until the setup is complete and 'Pending' no longer displays.
- Once the temp domain is set up on DreamPress, you can migrate your site content from your current hosting company to this new domain at DreamHost.
- After you've migrated all site content, test the example.dream.press site to confirm it works as intended.
- Add your current site (example.com) to the (Panel > 'Domains' > 'Manage Domains') page as 'DNS Only'. DO NOT add hosting for your real domain. If you do, you will not be able to migrate your temp site.
- When you're ready, change your temporary domain to your live site.
If you are having trouble migrating a WordPress site from another host yourself or just don't have the time, DreamHost currently offers a service that takes care of that for you: for just $99 and in less than 48 hours, DreamHost will move your WordPress site without any downtime. Please take a look at the Terms of Service (TOS) for further details about the process. If you want DreamHost to move forward with migrating your site, please submit a ticket with the domain name you wish to migrate and also include the following statement:
- I agree to the WordPress migrations TOS and the $99 charge.
DreamHost will pass your ticket it to the capable hands of the Professional Services team to get you started.