MX records control where emails for your domain are routed and sent for delivery. Be sure that the email addresses you want to receive mail at are properly set up and working before changing the MX records to direct mail to the new location. If you change the MX records before setting up those mail accounts, or make an error when changing the MX records, emails sent to you may bounce back to the sender or be lost.
To change your MX records domain:
- Navigate to the (Panel > ‘Mail’ > ‘Custom MX’) page.
- To the right of your domain, click the Edit button.
There are several options that appear on the Custom MX page which are described below.
Regular DreamHost email
- Regular DreamHost email is set by default, and all the MX and other mail DNS records are automatically created to send your emails to DreamHost's servers.
- You can use the (Panel > ‘Mail’ > ‘Manage Email’) page to configure your domain's email addresses, both fully-hosted and forward-only.
kb.webIf you’ve previously hosted your email outside of DreamHost and wish to now host email with DreamHost, you’ll see a button titled Make me regular now! which you can click to change your MX records back to DreamHost.
Google Apps for Business
- Google Apps lets you use email addresses on your domain with accounts on Gmail's servers, and all the MX and other mail DNS records are automatically created to send your emails to Google's servers.
- You must sign up with Google Apps and configure your domain's email addresses using Google's control panel.
- Any DreamHost-hosted mail accounts will remain active but existing old emails may not be saved; also, the (Panel > ‘Mail’ > ‘Manage Email’) page will no longer display or let you configure them.
- If you want to host your email with Google, click the I’m ready to use Google Apps now! button.
Custom MX Records
- You can enter fully custom MX records to direct your domain's mail to wherever you like.
- Use this if your mail service is hosted by a different provider and you want emails delivered to your mail accounts there.
- Your domain's mail provider will give you the MX records to enter here – they may also give you Custom A or Custom CNAME records to add as well.
- Any DreamHost-hosted mail accounts will remain active but existing old emails may not be saved.
- Additionally, the (Panel > ‘Mail’ > ‘Manage Email’) page will no longer display or let you configure them.
- Leave the "...still check my email..." option un-checked to ensure emails are properly delivered to your custom MX records server.
- To use custom MX records with an external spam filtering service that sends all emails back to DreamHost for delivery to your mail accounts hosted here, see the Mail Service Provider instructions.