DreamHost Shared, VPS, Dedicated, and DreamPress are four hosting plans available for your website.
The DreamHost Virtual Private Server (VPS) is a premium hosting solution based on Solid State Drives (SSDs.) It is available as an add-on to an existing DreamHost plan or a standalone service. DreamHost VPSs use Linux-VServer to create a "virtual machine" that protects a user's CPU and RAM resources from other users on the same physical machine.
For example, on a shared server resources are shared by other users. On a VPS, these resources are more isolated which improves performance and helps to maintain stability.
You can review pricing details for VPS plans on the DreamHost website.
This article provides details on how to add a:
- VPS server
- VPS User
- other details for managing and using your VPS.
What features does a VPS include?
- Protected CPU and RAM
- Persistent processes are allowed (and are never killed)
- Ability to alter the memory on the fly, without the need to reboot
- Ability to reboot the server from the panel
- Historical memory and load graphs can be viewed on the panel
- SSD-based drives offering speeds 20x times faster than traditional SATA disk drives
Unlike a regular shared hosting setup, VPSs allow for persistent processes to run. Regardless of how long it takes to run these processes (web invoked, console invoked, cron, or otherwise), the processes are never killed by the server.
Dynamic server settings adjustment
Many of the key configuration options for your VPS server are configured on the fly by DreamHost's automation system to take the best advantage of your available server resources. For instance, if you have a 300MB VPS server, Apache is configured to use a smaller amount of memory than if you had a 1000MB server. The Apache configuration is proportional to the memory allocation and is adjusted when the allocation is increased for the server.
Please visit the Wildcard DNS article for instructions on how to enable this service.
How much does a VPS cost?
View the following page for a list of current prices.
- DreamHost VPS
- How do I add a private server
- How do I add a user to my private server?
- How do I log into my VPS before pointing DNS to DreamHost?
- How do I move users and domains to my private server?
- Commands to troubleshoot your VPS
- VPS optimization overview
- VPS panel
- MySQL VPS overview
- Nginx overview
- Proxy Server