This article explains how to add an admin user to your Dedicated server. This user is different from a normal SFTP or Shell (SSH) user in that it is able to run root/sudo commands on the server, allowing more control over customizing system configurations or installing software.
Important note about custom Admin user changes
With an admin user, you can make root/sudo changes to your server, but please note that your Dedicated server is still managed by DreamHost. This means that if you make any custom changes to Apache, they will be overwritten whenever an Apache config is run. This can happen when adding hosting to a domain, or adding an SSL certificate.
If you make any custom changes, make sure to clearly note what they were so you can quickly fix anything that was overwritten.
Adding an admin user
To add an admin user:
- Navigate to Admin Users page in your panel.
- On the top right, click the Create User button.
- A 'Create User' panel appears to the right:
- Enter the following:
- Username — A user name for the new user.
- Server — Select the Dedicated server from the dropdown.
- Password — You can either enter your own password or click the Generate strong password button to allow the panel to create it for you.
- Secure Shell Access (SSH) — Select a Shell type that you wish to use. View the Shell types article for more information.
- Click the Create User button.
- The user then appears on the Admin Users page, noted by an icon.
Assigning an admin user to a domain
When an admin user is created, it is not assigned to a specific domain. This is because the purpose of the admin user is to log directly into the server to run sudo/root commands. If you attempt to add the admin user to a domain on the Dedicated server, the following error displays:
Changes cannot be made.
Admin users cannot be assigned to a website.
If you need to assign a specific admin user to a domain, you must first revoke admin privileges as described below.
What if my old admin user is assigned to a domain?
Domains that already have an admin user assigned to them will continue to function normally with the same user.
What if I change my old admin user assigned to a domain?
If the old admin user assigned to a domain is changed, it cannot be assigned again in the future, unless admin access is first revoked.
Can I change a Non-admin user to an admin user?
A user already assigned to a domain cannot be changed into a Dedicated admin user. A new admin user must be created.
Revoke admin user privileges
To revoke admin user privileges:
- Navigate to SFTP Users & Files page in your panel.
- Hover over the icon to the right of your admin user.
- A pop-out appears.
- Click the toggle button to remove admin privileges.