One of the best things about having your own domain is that you get to have any personal address you like for that domain which looks more professional than a generic mail address, such as @gmail.com.
Adding an email address takes only a few simple steps which this guide explains. However if you need further details on other aspects of an email address, please review the Email Client Configuration article.
Creating an email address
To create an email address:
- Open the (Panel > 'Mail' > 'Manage Email') page.
- Click the Create New Email Address button.
- Enter the following:
- The desired email address in the first field.
- Choose the domain you’d like to add it to from the dropdown list.
- Enter a name for the mailbox (this can be your name or something to describe the purpose of the mailbox).
- Check the box to generate a password (or enter one of your own choosing if you prefer).
- There are several other fields such as 'Limit total disk usage' and 'Remove read messages', but you do not need to adjust these to create the address. If you'd like to read more about those settings, view the following articles:
- Click the Create Address button. A success message appears confirming that the address has been added.
You're now ready to configure your email client and start sending and receiving mail.
The steps above assume your DNS is hosted with DreamHost. If you have custom MX records in place for a domain, you will not be able to create new addresses. This is because if you are using Gmail, (or another alternative mail provider), you must create new email addresses at that provider.
Another issue to be aware of is that sometimes when you have a large number of addresses already created, you get an error message that says:
“Your account cannot create additional e-mail addresses at this time. This is usually a temporary situation and should be resolved within 24 hours. Please contact Support if you have any questions.”
In the event you get this message, please contact support.