After you have added an email address in the DreamHost panel, you can access it using DreamHost's webmail or an email client such as MacMail, Outlook, or Thunderbird.
After you add the first email address, it could take 4-6 hours for the DNS to update online. Only after the DNS updates will you be able to access webmail. Any additional addresses you add are immediately available.
This article contains the following contents:
- Basics — Basic questions about DreamHost's webmail service.
- Using webmail — Composing emails and managing folders
- Spam — Managing Spam emails
- FAQs — Miscellaneous questions about DreamHost's webmail service.
You can also view the following article to learn about using HTML features (such as creating a signature) in Webmail:
DreamHost's webmail client does not support web calendar or chat functionality.
Visit the following URL to log into your Webmail service:
- The login page opens:
Webmail is automatically configured to connect to the DreamHost mail server. The only credentials you must enter are your email address and password.
Updating your email password
View the following article if you need to update your email password:
Retrieving your password
View the following article for details on how to reset your email password:
Is there a charge for webmail?
Checking for new mail
Webmail automatically checks and displays new mail if you leave it open. You can also click the Refresh button to manually check.
Spell Checking emails
When composing an email, you can run a Spell Check to ensure nothing is misspelled.
- Click 'Compose' in the left pane.
- Type the body of your email.
- Click the Spell button in the top menu.
- Any misspelled words display in red text.
By default, any email sent or received appears in your Inbox in list format. Another view option is to enable 'Threads'. When enabled, any ongoing conversation with recipient(s) appears in its own thread in the list.
- From the menu at the top, select 'Options'.
- In the List mode dropdown, select 'Threads'.
- Click the Save button.
Any messages responded to then appear in a thread as shown below. Click the chevron (arrow) icon to display threaded messages.
Webmail is a PHP application and the max attachment size available is 30 MB.
- Click 'Compose' in the left pane.
- To the left, click the Attach a file button.
Subscribing to folder
Your email address may have several folders within it that do not appear in webmail. The following steps explain how to display these hidden folders.
- Click 'Mail' in the left panel.
- Click the folder icon, or three dots icon.
- From its dropdown menu, select 'Manage folders'.
- A series of existing folders display:
- Toggle the button to the right of any folder you wish to display.
- The folder displays when navigating back to your Inbox.
Emails in the Trash folder can quickly accumulate and add to your mailbox disk quota. To quickly delete all email:
- Select the email (or emails) you wish to delete. They will be highlighted in blue.
- Click the trashcan icon to delete them.
Subscribing to the Spam folder
DreamHost purges all spam and trash email messages after 15 days. Please make sure you check your spam and trash messages within this time frame.
If you cannot view these folders, make sure you have subscribed to them as mentioned above.
Filtering emails into the Spam folder
The Spam folder used in Webmail is automatically controlled by the default anti-spam filters for all DreamHost addresses. If you find email is filtered incorrectly or not filtered, you can control this using the Allow/Block List feature in the panel.
Moving spam messages to the Spam folder
If any Spam emails arrive in your Inbox, you can then drag and drop them in the Spam folder.
If you cannot view this folder, make sure you have subscribed to it as mentioned above.
Creating custom filters
Another available option is to manually create your own custom filters. This way you can control into which folder spam messages are sent.
After you have filtered Spam emails, they will be contained in a single folder. You can then use the Deleting emails section above to delete them all at once.
Can I use read receipts?
Yes. Read receipts will attempt to notify you when the recipient has opened the message you sent.
To enable this feature in webmail, click Settings > Preferences > Composing Messages, and then toggle on the 'Always request a return receipt' option
Keep in mind, some recipients will deliberately disable read receipts, and not all email providers and applications support the feature. As such, there is no guarantee that the feature will function, even if enabled in your mail client.
Can I change my timezone?
Webmail defaults to the server's timezone. You can change it to your local time if you like by following these steps:
- Log into Webmail at https://webmail.dreamhost.com.
- In the left pane, click Settings.
- Choose 'Preferences'.
- Choose 'User Interface'
- Select your timezone from the dropdown menu.
- Click the Save button to save your changes.
How do I search through my emails?
You can search through your emails by clicking the Search field above the email list.
Enter your search term and press the Enter key.
Please note that the search field only searches the Subject text in all emails. It does not search the email Body text. If you need to search the Body text, the only option would be to use an email client.