After you have added an email address in the DreamHost panel, you can access it using DreamHost's webmail or an email client such as MacMail, Outlook, or Thunderbird.
After you add the first email address, it could take 4-6 hours for the DNS to update online. Only after the DNS updates will you be able to access webmail. Any additional addresses you add are immediately available.
This article contains the following contents:
Visit the following URL to log into your Webmail service:
- The login page opens:
Webmail is automatically configured to connect to the DreamHost mail server. The only credentials you must enter are your email address and password.
Updating your email password
View the following article if you need to update your email password:
Retrieving your password
View the following article for details on how to reset your email password:
Security warning when using HTTPS with your website URL
In the past, it was possible to log into webmail at https://atmail.example.com (where example.com is your website). Due to improvements with DreamHost's email infrastructure, you should no longer use this URL to connect.
It is highly recommended that you only use https://webmail.dreamhost.com to connect to your webmail account.
Is there a charge for webmail?
Checking for new mail
Webmail automatically checks and displays new mail if you leave it open. You can also click the Refresh button to manually check.
Spell Checking emails
When composing an email, you can run a Spell Check to ensure nothing is misspelled.
- Click 'Compose' in the left pane.
- Type the body of your email.
- Click the Spell button in the top menu.
- Any misspelled words display in red text.
By default, any email sent or received appears in your Inbox in list format. Another view option is to enable 'Threads'. When enabled, any ongoing conversation with recipient(s) appears in its own thread in the list.
- Click 'Mail' in the left pane.
- Click the folder icon or three dots icon.
- From the dropdown, select 'Options'.
- In the 'List mode' dropdown, select 'Threads'.
- Click the Save button.
Any messages responded to then appear in a thread as shown below. Click the chevron (arrow) icon to display threaded messages.
Webmail is a PHP application and the max attachment size available is 40 MB.
- Click 'Compose' in the left pane.
- To the left, click the Attach a file button.
Subscribing to folder
Your email address may have several folders within it that do not appear in webmail. The following steps explain how to display these hidden folders.
- Click 'Mail' in the left panel.
- Click the folder icon, or three dots icon.
- From its dropdown menu, select 'Manage folders'.
- A series of existing folders display:
- Toggle the button to the right of any folder you wish to display.
- The folder displays when navigating back to your Inbox.
Emails in the Trash folder can quickly accumulate and add to your mailbox disk quota. To quickly delete all email:
- Select the email (or emails) you wish to delete. They will be highlighted in blue.
- Click the trashcan icon to delete them.
Subscribing to the Spam folder
DreamHost purges all spam and trash email messages after 15 days. Please make sure you check your spam and trash messages within this time frame.
If you cannot view these folders, make sure you have subscribed to them as mentioned above.
Filtering emails into the Spam folder
The Spam folder used in Webmail is automatically controlled by the default anti-spam filters for all DreamHost addresses. If you find email is filtered incorrectly or not filtered, you can control this using the Allow/Block List feature in the panel.
Moving spam messages to the Spam folder
If any Spam emails arrive in your Inbox, you can then drag and drop them in the Spam folder.
If you cannot view this folder, make sure you have subscribed to it as mentioned above.
Creating custom filters
Another available option is to manually create your own custom filters. This way you can control into which folder spam messages are sent.
Can I use an HTML signature?
Plain text emails are enabled by default, so if you have a signature that uses HTML (links, images, and/or formatting), you also need to turn on HTML for composing emails.
To enable this feature in webmail, click Settings > Preferences > Composing Messages, and then select "always" within the 'Compose HTML messages' drop-down menu.
Can I remove the DreamHost the logo from webmail?
Unfortunately, there is currently not a way to remove the DreamHost logo from webmail.
Can I use read receipts?
Yes. Read receipts will attempt to notify you when the recipient has opened the message you sent.
To enable this feature in webmail, click Settings > Preferences > Composing Messages, and then toggle on the 'Always request a return receipt' option
Keep in mind, some recipients will deliberately disable read receipts, and not all email providers and applications support the feature. As such, there is no guarantee that the feature will function, even if enabled in your mail client.
Can I use HTML to embed an image?
This is currently not possible. The only way to add an image is to create a new email.
Then click the HTML icon.
Click the image icon.
Finally, either input the URL of the image, or click the upload button to upload an image from your computer.
You can then input the link to the URL of the image.
How do I create a signature?
DreamHost does not recommend using the Identities feature, as it typically does not work as expected. You need to make sure that the email address you use is the same one that you’ve logged into webmail with, as it will change the "from" setting. If you try to use a different identity when sending emails, your email will bounce and never reach the recipient.
- Click 'Settings' in the left pane.
- From the list, choose 'Identities'.
- From the list, click your email address.
- Add your signature in the window that opens.
- Click Save.
Can I use hyperlinks in a message?
Yes. Hyperlinks can be added from the ‘Compose’ page.
To add a hyperlink:
- Create a new email message.
- Click the HTML icon at the top of the message window.
- Click the link icon.
- Input the URL you wish to link to, along with the text you want the link to display. When finished, click the Ok button to save your link.
Changing your timezone
Webmail defaults to the server's timezone. You can change it to your local time if you like by following these steps:
- Log into Webmail at https://webmail.dreamhost.com.
- In the left pane, click Settings.
- Choose 'Preferences'.
- Choose 'User Interface'
- Select your timezone from the dropdown menu.
- Click the Save button to save your changes.