This article describes what a Starter Shared hosting plan is and how to create an account with this type of plan.
What is a Starter Shared hosting plan?
Starter Shared is DreamHost's most basic entry-level hosting plan.
The Starter Shared plan is an excellent option to get a single website up and running quickly at a very low cost. Since it's a starter plan, there are a few limitations to be aware of which are all mentioned below.
Does DreamHost offer other hosting plans?
In addition to a Starter Shared plan, the following hosting plans are also available:
- Shared — your site is hosted on a shared server
- VPS — your site is hosted on a private server
- Dedicated — your site is hosted on a private server
- Remixer — your site is hosted on the Remixer website builder plan
- DreamPress — your site is hosted on a private server running a DreamHost managed version of WordPress
Are there any limitations?
Since the Started Shared plan is an introductory plan, there are a few limitations you should be aware of:
- Only one website can be hosted
- Email not included
- 6 MySQL databases
- 5 subdomains
- 50GB of storage space
- 6 webserver users
How to add a Started Shared hosting plan
To create a Starter Shared hosting plan, visit the following page:
Under 'Started Shared' click the Sign Up Now button, and then follow the prompts to sign up for a new DreamHost account. Once completed, you'll have access to your DreamHost panel at:
Adding your site to the plan
After the plan has been added, log into your panel. You can view more information on how to log into your DreamHost control panel by visiting the following article:
On the Manage Account page, your Starter Shared plan appears:
To add your website to the new plan:
- Navigate to the FTP & SSH Users page. Use the following article to add a new user to your server.
- Once added, navigate to the Manage Domains page. Use the following article to add a new user to your server.
- After the domain is added, wait a few hours in order for it to propagate online. After that, you'll be able to visit it.
Changing which domain is hosted on a Starter Shared plan
You can use the following steps if you want to change your Starter Shared plan's 'Fully Hosted' domain to another that you own.
Only one domain can be fully hosted at a time with a Starter Shared plan. However, you do not need to contact Support to change the active domain. To change the 'Fully Hosted' website on the plan:
Adding a Starter Shared hosting plan if you have a registration only account
If your account was previously opened as a Domain Registration only account, no hosting plans are active.
Contact support if you wish to add a Starter Shared hosting plan:
Otherwise you can add any other hosting plan you like, including: